I recently bought a DJI Osmo Mobile 3 Gimbal Stabilizer for about $170 CAD. A gimbal is a tool that uses motors and intelligent sensors to support and stabilize a camera – meaning you can film silky smooth video footage while on the move! How cool is that?
I was super excited to try it and I thought that having done a lot of video recording in the past and being somewhat tech savvy, this would be easy to use. See my “Favourite Video Gear List” below.
It is and it isn’t. I spent way too much time watching “How To” Youtube video tutorials and not enough time enjoying the Osmo. All I wanted was a clear explanation of the basic features and how to use them.
I couldn’t find that video, so I made one myself! I hope you will enjoy this blog post. If so please take a moment to comment below and subscribe to my YouTube channel for weekly social media tips and tricks.
First, I’ll review the gear that comes in the package. I will then guide you through what you can do using the Osmo 3 without the DJI mobile app, which is important because these are the features you will have access to if you try to do a Facebook or Instagram LIVE recording using the stabilizer. Finally we will review all the extra features you have access to using the Osmo 3 with the DJI app.
1. GETTING STARTED
2. USING THE OSMO & GOING LIVE ON FACEBOOK/INSTAGRAM
Using the Osmo 3 without the DJI mobile app – GOING LIVE ON FACEBOOK OR INSTAGRAM.
A lot of people have asked me if there is a way to use the Osmo 3 to do a Facebook or Instagram LIVE. Unfortunately, at this time, the answer is no.
However, you can use it as an “enhanced” Tripod. In this video, I do an example of a Live Facebook open house using the gimbal without the DJI app and you will see how smooth it looks.
3. USING THE OSMO 3 WITH THE DJI MIMO APP
This stabilizer shows its full glory when you click on the DJI mobile app
and use it to record a video.
Key Features (as per DJI Mimo’s APP site)
“As the all-in-one app made specifically for the DJI Osmo Pocket handheld gimbal, Osmo Action camera and Osmo Mobile 3, Mimo offers HD live view during recording, intelligent features such as My Story for quick editing, and other tools not available with a handheld stabilizer alone. Mimo lets you capture, edit, and share the best of your moments, right from your fingertips.”
USING THE OSMO 3 WITH THE DJI MIMO APP – HIGHLIGHTS
1. Supports HD live view and 4K video recording.
2. Controls Osmo Pocket, Osmo Action or Osmo Mobile 3 via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.
3. My Story video templates designed by professionals allow you to edit your videos in a single tap.
4. Precise face identification and real-time Beautify mode enhances photos and videos instantly.
5. Upload and share videos with just a tap.
6. Advanced video editing functions: Trim and split clips, adjust playback speed, reverse, and more.
7. Tune image quality to meet your needs: Brightness, saturation, contrast, color temperature, vignette, and sharpness.
8. Multiple filters, music templates, and watermark stickers finish your videos with a unique flair.
The Osmo Mobile 3 is a fun device that provides effective stabilization and software tools, and one that doesn’t require you to be an expert filmmaker to use. I recommend it to anyone shooting videos where the subject is moving. It is also ideal for Vlogging (video blogs) and to create videos that catch attention. Viewers tend to watch a video for longer when the subject is on the go.
C.AIRD FAVOURITE PHOTO | VIDEO GEAR LIST & APPS
OSMO 3 GIMBAL
Portable Selfie Stick with remote control clicker
OSMO 3 Gimbal Stabilizer
Great desktop light
Big ring light
Apple AirPods (great for microphone too!)
Beats noise-canceling headphones with microphone:
Apple MacBook Pro
Apple iPhone 11 Pro